H&LA’s recent research for a project near Spokane, Washington revealed some exciting new hospitality-related developments happening in the area. These developments will have an impact on tourism, employment, and the general economy in Spokane and the surrounding areas in 2023 and beyond.
- Spokane International Airport is currently moving forward with a major renovation and expansion campaign dubbed the Terminal Remodeling & Expansion Project (TREX). This project will expand Terminal C; build a new security checkpoint for Terminals A and B; and create a central baggage claim hall. In all, the project will include 122,000 square feet of space and represents an investment of roughly $130 million. Construction on the TREX project began in October 2022, and it is expected to be finished within the next two years.
- Spokane County has announced plans to develop a large-scale indoor shooting range and law enforcement training center along West Medical Lake Road, west of Spokane International Airport. Representing an investment of at least $40 million, this facility will feature indoor shooting lanes, classrooms, locker rooms, offices, K-9 training areas, a rappel tower, and a “shoot house” firearms simulation area. Planned as a collaboration between the county and Fairchild Air Force Base, this facility is expected to open by the end of 2023.
- A new cultural attraction called the Spokane Valley Performing Arts Center is planned for a five-acre site just off Interstate 90, east of Spokane. This $36 million facility will host full-scale theatrical productions and arts education programs. Groundbreaking for this project took place in August of 2022, and it is scheduled to open in 2024.
- In 2021, the Kalispel Tribe began construction on a major expansion of the Northern Quest Resort & Casino in Airway Heights, Washington, west of Spokane. Slated for completion in 2023, this project will add a new five-building wing with approximately 200 rooms, bringing the property’s total room count to more than 440. The property will also add three new dining outlets as part of the expansion. In December 2021, Northern Quest debuted the new Turf Club Sports Book, a 2,300-square-foot area offering sports wagering and a full-service bar.
- Spokane County recently sold the former Spokane County Raceway in Airway Heights to the Kalispel Tribe for a reported $6.1 million. The property has since been renamed Qlispe Raceway Park and was reopened for a limited season of racing events in 2022. The new owners are now working to complete various improvements in preparation for an expanded schedule of events in 2023.
- A major expansion was recently completed at the Spokane Tribe Casino in Airway Heights, Washington, west of Spokane. With an estimated cost of more than $30 million, this project added 20,000 square feet of gaming space, doubling the property’s former size. Included in the expansion were 300 new slot machines, six new table games, a new restaurant, and a new sports betting area with a giant video board.