Our recent research for a project in Des Moines, Iowa revealed some exciting new hospitality-related developments happening in the area. These developments will have an impact on tourism, employment, and the general economy in Des Moines and the surrounding areas in 2023 and beyond.
- A new $25 million Live Nation entertainment venue is now under construction in Waukee, Iowa, on the west side of greater Des Moines. This 3,500-seat concert venue will be part of a larger $100 million entertainment district that will include retail stores, restaurants, and one or more hotels. Construction on the concert venue is scheduled for completion in late 2023.
- In January 2023, Wells Fargo announced that it would relocate most of its downtown Des Moines employees to the company’s Jordan Creek campus in West Des Moines. The move is considered a cost-cutting measure, as the company plans to sell their vacated downtown buildings. Wells Fargo officials have stated that the Jordan Creek campus can accommodate up to 12,000 employees, which is roughly equal to the company’s total Des Moines area workforce.
- Microsoft is now in the process of developing two major data centers in West Des Moines. This massive project will be carried out in multiple phases over the next decade, resulting in over 1.2 million square feet of building space and over $2 billion in total building value. This large-scale project signals the company’s long-term commitment to the West Des Moines area.
- Dallas-based Topgolf has announced plans to open one of its signature golf entertainment centers in West Des Moines, near Jordan Creek Town Center. This multi-level attraction will feature 72 climate-controlled hitting bays, a bar, and a restaurant, and it will employ about 300 full- and part-time workers. While no official opening date has been announced, it is expected to open within the next two years.
- Suite Shots, an indoor driving range and restaurant, has been approved for a site near Interstate 35 and Grand Avenue in West Des Moines. Similar to Topgolf, this 50,000-square-foot facility would have three floors of hitting bays, a restaurant, and a bar. Suite Shots would serve as an anchor for a larger development, including four office buildings, a hotel, and restaurants.
- Adventureland Park in Altoona, Iowa, recently underwent a number of major additions and improvements. For the 2023 season, the park introduced the new Draken Falls flume ride and the Flying Viking roller coaster, its seventh roller coaster. Adventureland also completed a number of aesthetic improvements ahead of the 2023 season and added the new Potato Patch french fry stand and a candy shop called The Sweet Boutique.